Objection # 26
It is forbidden to kill a Muslim but not forbidden to kill a non-Muslim:
The so-called Sword Verse (ayat as-sayf) is the fifth verse of the ninth sura (Surat at-Tawbah) of the Qur’an. It is a widely-cited Qur’anic call to violence against “pagans” (“idolators”, mushrikun), obliging Muslims to “fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them” ( fa-uq’tulū l-mush’rikīna ḥaythu wajadttumūhum فَاقْتُلُوا الْمُشْرِكِينَ حَيْثُ وَجَدْتُمُوهُمْ ; trans. Abdullah Yusuf Ali).
Explaining the context of this verse, modern Quranic scholar Muhammad Asad (The Message of The Qur’an 1980) restricts the permission to fight and kill as being given regarding specific tribes already at war with the Muslims who had breached their peace agreements and have attacked them first.
This is specific to war like situation, not in peace where normal working relations with non Muslims exist, as mentioned in Quran [60:1-9]. Muslims are encouraged to act towards all the non-Muslims living in Islamic state with kindness and equity. As per Qur’an; “As for such (of the unbelievers) as do not fight against you on account of your faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, Allah does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity. Indeed, Allah loves those who act equitably”(Qur’an;60:8).
This is absolutely false allegation, fabrication, deceit, white lie, reflecting either total ignorance, lack of knowledge of Islam, or the nefarious designs with evil intentions to defame Islam through false propaganda and baseless allegations. Qur’an is very clear on sanctity of human life, believer or non believer.
Killing a believer, or innocent human not permitted in Islam: Qur’an;4:93, 5:32,17:33.
“if any one slew a person – unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief In the land – it would be As if He slew the whole mankind: and if any one saved a life, it would be As if He saved the life of the whole mankind.” [Qur’an;5:32].
To kill or seek to kill an innocent human being, be it Muslim or non Muslim, is to kill all innocent people. On the other hand, to save an individual life in the same circumstances is to save a whole community. What could be stronger condemnation of individual assassination and revenge?
“Nor take life – which Allah has made sacred – except for just cause. and if anyone is slain wrongfully, we have given His heir authority (to demand qisas or to forgive): but let Him nor exceed bounds In the matter of taking life; for He is helped (by the Law).”[Qur’an;17:33]
“If a man kills a believer intentionally, His recompense is Hell, to abide therein (for ever): and the wrath and the curse of Allah are upon him, and a dreadful penalty is prepared for Him.”[Qur’an;4:93]
Here are more references from Qur’an on the subject:
1) Killing only during hostilities in progress, 2:191,4:89, 4:91,5:33, 8:39, 8:57, 9:5, 9:12 ; 9:1-6
2) Don’t fight nonbelievers who neither fought against your faith nor driven you out of your homes, treat them justly; 60:8
Tolerance & Coexistence
1) No compulsion, coercion in religion; 2:256 , 6:104,107; 88:21-26; 6:66,107; 10:108; 25:43; 39:41; 42:6; 4:80; 42:48; 3:20; 5:99; 16:3524:54; 29:18;42:48; 31:23; 18:29;
2) Some believe, some disbelieve, God will judge; 7:87
3) Sanctity of Human life ; 17:33
4) Killing one innocent human like killing humanity; 5:32
5) Help and rescue the helpless oppressed old men, women, and children; 4:75
6) Warfare in self defense, Allah does not like transgressors.;2:190
7) Friendship with non believers; 60:9
8) Preaching Islam with wisdom, fair exhortation, and reason; 16:125
9) Non believers rewarded [in this world]; 13:26; 10:7; 53:29; 3:113-115; 42:20; 28:83,84; 18:46’ 20:131
10) Non believers communities not destroyed for disbelief (only) if they behave righteously towards one an other; 11:117; 3:178.